Considering Kidney Donation?
Donating a kidney is a life-changing gift but also a major commitment that involves extensive testing, major surgery and weeks of recovery time. If you decide to donate a kidney, here’s the process you’ll go through.
Screening & Testing:
- 45 mins Complete the Donor Care Network screening and medical history
- ~3 days Center will contact you
- ~3 days Complete standard workup
- 1 – 4 weeks Get cleared for donation
Surgery & Recovery
- 1 day Complete pre-op
- 1 – 5 hours Complete surgery
- 1 – 4 days Recover in hospital
- 1 week Refrain from flying
- 1 – 4 weeks Recover at home*
When you’re ready to get started with the screening process, click the button below.See if you're qualified to donate
*Most people can return to normal activities after 2 – 4 weeks. Donors with physically demanding jobs may need 4 – 6 weeks of recovery before returning to work. High-performance athletes will need 6 months to a year before they are back to pre-donation performance levels.
How We Support & Protect Donors
Leaders of the Donor Care Network are living kidney donors. As such, we intimately understand the living donor process and are committed to ensuring a convenient and safe donation experience for all living kidney donors.
- Donor Shield; The New Standard of Care
- Kidney Prioritization for All National Kidney Registry Donors
- Our Transplant Centers Meet the Highest of Standards
- Run By Donors for Donors
- We Value Your Time
- Donor Satisfaction Survey