Donating a kidney is an amazing gift but also major surgery involving:
- Medical tests that will require at least one full day at the hospital.
- One to three days in the hospital after surgery.
- Typically two to four weeks off work for recovery.
For a review of kidney donation risks, click here.
To get started:
- 5 mins Complete the Donor Care Network screening
- 1 hour If cleared, next day, complete full medical history
- ~3 daysCenter will contact you
Then: (may vary slightly by center)
- 1 dayComplete standard workup
- 1 – 4 weeksGet cleared for donation
- Complete pre-op
- Complete surgery
- In the hospital for two to six days after donation
- Should not fly for a minimum of one week after donation
- Will need two to eight weeks of recovery time
- High performance athletes will need six months to a year before they are back to pre-donation performance levels
How We Help & Support Donors
Leaders of the Donor Care Network are living kidney donors. As such, we intimately understand the living donor process and are committed to ensuring a convenient and safe donation experience for all living kidney donors.