Kidney donation is an amazing gift but also major surgery involving:
- Medical tests that will require at least one full day at the hospital.
- 1 – 3 days in the hospital after surgery.
- Typically 2 – 4 weeks off work for recovery.
For a review of kidney donation risks, click here.
To get started:
- 5 mins Complete the DCN Screening
- 1 hour If cleared, next day, complete full medical history
- ~3 daysCenter will contact you
Then: (may vary slightly by center)
- 1 – 2 daysComplete workups & labs
- 1 – 4 weeksGet cleared for donation
- Schedule pre-op & surgery
- Complete pre-op
- Complete surgery
- 6-month follow-up
- 1-year follow-up
- 2-year follow-up
We've got your back.
Leaders of the DCN are living kidney donors who donated their kidneys. As such, we intimately understand the living donor process and are committed to ensuring a convenient and safe donation experience for all living kidney donors.
- Lost Wage Reimbursement
- Travel & Lodging Reimbursement
- Kidney Prioritization
- Financial Protection
- Donation Life Insurance
- Donation Disability Insurance
- Legal Representation
- Continuous Improvement
- Easier Process
(Protections provided vary by center and type of donation.)