Become a Living Kidney Donor
Donating a kidney is a life-changing gift but also a major commitment that involves extensive testing, major surgery and weeks of recovery time. If you decide to donate a kidney, here’s the process you’ll go through.
Screening & Testing
- 45 minsComplete the Donor Care Network screening and medical history
- 3-10 daysCenter should contact you
- ~3 daysComplete standard workup
- 1 – 4 monthsGet cleared for donation
Surgery & Recovery
- 1 dayComplete pre-op
- 1 – 5 hoursComplete surgery
- 1 – 4 daysRecover in hospital
- 1 weekRefrain from flying
- 1 – 4 weeksRecover at home*
Ready to see if you’re qualified to donate your kidney?Get Started
*Most people can return to normal activities after 2 – 4 weeks. Donors with physically demanding jobs may need 4 – 6 weeks of recovery before returning to work. High-performance athletes will need 6 months to a year before they are back to pre-donation performance levels.