Kidney donation is an amazing gift but also major surgery involving:
- Medical tests that will require at least one full day at the hospital.
- One to three days in the hospital after surgery.
- Typically two to four weeks off work for recovery.
For a review of kidney donation risks, click here.
To get started:
- 5 mins Complete the Donor Care Network screening
- 1 hour If cleared, next day, complete full medical history
- ~3 daysCenter will contact you
Then: (may vary slightly by center)
- 1 dayComplete standard workup
- 1 – 4 weeksGet cleared for donation
- Complete pre-op
- Complete surgery
- In the hospital for two to six days after donation
- Should not fly for a minimum of one week after donation
- Will need two to eight weeks of recovery time
- High performance athletes will need six months to a year before they are back to pre-donation performance levels
We've got your back.
Leaders of the Donor Care Network are living kidney donors. As such, we intimately understand the living donor process and are committed to ensuring a convenient and safe donation experience for all living kidney donors.