About the Donor Care Network
Message from the Founders
After each of us donated our kidneys, we were grateful for the opportunity to give the Gift of Life, but we realized that the kidney donation process in the United States can be improved to make it easier and safer for future donors. We came up with the idea of creating a network comprised of only the BEST donor centers. We then put together a list of guiding principles and identified the commitments that centers would need to make to join our network. Finally, we identified innovative programs that we could deploy in partnership with our centers of excellence to make the donation process easier and safer than ever before.
We hope that, if you are considering giving the Gift of Life, you use our web site as a resource. If you have ever Googled "kidney transplant" you have seen how much information is out there. It can be overwhelming and, sometimes, misleading. The fact is, the living donor transplant industry is a Billion dollar industry, and there are many competing interests. We will give you the FACTS...with no spin. The way we see it, the entire living donor transplant industry is built on the generosity of donors, so we want to ensure all donors are provided with excellent care and service. Our goal is to put living donors first, because--without the donor--there is no transplant.
Our Mission is to ensure all living kidney donors are treated with courtesy and respect at Donor Care Network centers of excellence that share and implement best practices making donation safer, easier and more convenient.
Member Centers should:
- Work together to eliminate the risk of a donor death & minimize complications.
- Make the donation process as easy as possible for donors.
- Make the donation process as easy as possible for the donor’s caretaker.
- Treat donors and their caretakers with courtesy and respect.
- Provide easy to understand education & informed consent information.
- Provide timely updates to the donor throughout the process.
- Let donors know about the common pain & problems from surgery.
- Provide remedies for all common pain & problems from surgery.
- Listen to the feedback from donors to improve the donation process.
- Share information and ideas to improve the donation experience.
- Support the elimination of kidney donation financial disincentives.
- Embrace an attitude of “rolling out the red carpet” for donors.
Medical Advisory Committee
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY