Our Mission & Guiding Principles
Our Mission is to ensure all living kidney donors are treated with courtesy and respect. Donor Care Network Centers of Excellence share this goal by implementing and sharing the industry’s best practices, making donation safer, easier and more convenient.
Member Centers should:
- Work together to eliminate the risk of a donor death & minimize complications.
- Make the donation process as easy as possible for donors.
- Make the donation process as easy as possible for the donor’s caretaker.
- Treat donors and their caretakers with courtesy and respect.
- Provide easy to understand education & informed consent information.
- Provide timely updates to the donor and caretaker throughout the process.
- Let donors know about the common pain & problems from surgery.
- Provide remedies for all common pain & problems from surgery.
- Listen to feedback from the donors to improve the donation process.
- Share information and ideas to improve the donation experience.
- Support the elimination of financial disincentives to kidney donation.
- Embrace an attitude of “rolling out the red carpet” for donors.
Our Medical Advisory Committee
Gabriel Danovitch, MD
Los Angeles, CA
Distinguished Professor of Medicine
Director, Kidney and Kidney/Pancreas Transplantation
Nicole Turgeon, MD
Surgical Director, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Programs
Kidney Transplant Surgeon
Sandip Kapur, MD
New York, NY
Chief Transplantation, New York Presbyterian Hospital
Professor of Surgery Cornell University